Friday 20 January 2012

So why am I here?

Why am I here? Why are you here?

I am starting this blog with the purpose of trying to record how I feel about my running and training. I am not a runner, never have been. In fact, I don't even really like running unless there is a goal at the end of it, trying to score a basket, shoot a goal or score a try (Rugby Lingo).

But....... I am married to a runner, I don't think she would or does describe herself as one, but she is. Even 7 months pregnant, she tries to run or workout as often as possible. She just loves it. i think she must feel the high of running. That is what I am trying to find.

Don't get me wrong, I am not fat, overweight or even remotely close to obese. But I also know that I am not fit either. I don't feel right within my body. I don't feel that my body can do what I want it to. i can't run very far or fast, I can't lift much weight and I kind of look a bit like a squidgy donut around the middle.

But do you know what? I am going to change it. I have already completed a few 10ks (not very gracefully or fast). I have even completed a sprint triathlon. But through all of this, I have never felt a runners high. I have never felt like it is anything but hard work with a little bit of boring mixed in.

However, just recently as I turned 31 I have decided that I need to up my game. I want to get fit and to be able to run. Able to run freely.

So, I have started a couch to 5k podcast training program. The reason I have chosen this is that for the last year and a half, I have been going to school (still am) and I have not really had much time to exercise. So I am REALLY out of shape. Also, I am VERY wary of running too quickly because I have had shin splint injuries in the past and I am really scared that it will come back f I push it too much.

Anyway, that is my first blog post. It feels good to get it off of my chest. I will be back soon and I am going to talk about some of my goals for this year in terms of running and having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment